Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Group Project


A few months ago, I began teaching a group of ladies from my church how to crochet with the intent of starting a new unofficial ministry.
  This is a picture of our first (unfinished) project at a recent baby shower for a woman at our church.
  The ladies had just started really getting the hang of some basic stitches when suddenly, within the hustle and bustle of things during a three week break we had to take, came the announcement of a baby shower for a baby that isn't due till February. EEK! I had forgotten that a winter baby such as this one usually gets a shower BEFORE the busyness of the Christmas Season begins at our church.
  I quickly gathered together the squares the ladies had already made, summonsed those whom I could throw some extra work at, had a day of crocheting with a few of them, and the race was on! That was Monday, and the shower was Thursday! Would we make it in time to at least have enough done on it so as to be able to present it to her?
With willing hands, those ladies stitched, I worked on my bobble squares and began joining everything together. Even my ten year old daughter (whom  had begun crocheting last year with me but had lost interest) wanted to join in and make a square for her junior church teacher! Yay! To keep the size and shape of her square, and to allow me to inspect for any errors that would be too sorely apparent to leave in the square she so proudly worked on, she would crochet one row, I the next. If I found an error that just cried for correction, I would show it to her, rip out stitches to that point, and she would do it over. Occasionally, if she accidentally put two stitches in one space, I would simply sc2tog on the next row at that spot to bring the count of the row of stitches back where it should be. She was so proud to have been able to have her one square to added to the project! With great excitement and building anticipation, she eagerly awaited at the shower for our gift bag's turn to be presented and opened!!
  With two rows left to add on, along with the border, this gift was presented to her amidst OOh's and AAh's from around the room and the 60 or so ladies present at the shower. I am so proud of how well all the ladies are doing, and their enthusiasm for learning.
  Made with Lion Brands Pound of Love and Caron's Pound, this blanket has a beautiful stretch, texture, and weight to it, and (not purposely, might I add) will be large enough for the growing girl to use on a twin sized bed when she is older if desired.
   Many hands make light work, and such a project was so fun to do as we ladies were able to spend time together sharing, learning, and working together to make a special something for a special someone.
  We have two more projects in the making now....but that will be for another time! ;)
  Till then, remember....God is good...all the time!

No comments: